The University Law College, established in the year 1948, is a constituent college of the Gauhati University and is the deemed Department of Law. The College is conveniently located at Jalukbari within the Guwahati University Campus.
The college has a glorious past and can now look back with pride that this college was headed by some of the distinguished legal luminaries such as J. Baruah who was the pioneer of legal education in Assam, Sarat K. Dutta who later became the Chief Justice and Vice-Chancellor, Jagadish Medhi, the then Advocate General of Assam, Mukunda Kam. Sharma, once a part-time Lecturer of this College, who was later the Chief Justice of Delhi High Court, and recently elevated as a Judge of the Supreme Court of India. Besides, many of the teachers of this college adorned both the Bench and the Bar. The College has thus been successful in making adequate provision for advancement and dissemination of legal knowledge, and producing teachers and scholars who went on to obtain national and international recognition.
- LL.B. Three-year Course for graduate students
- B.A., LL.B. / B.A. LL.B. (Hons): A five-year Integrated Law Course after 10+2
- Ph.D. in Law
LL.B. Three-year Course - 160
B.A. LL.B. (Hons.) Five-year Integrated Law Course - 80
Course & Duration
- The College offers regular teaching leading to LL.B. degree recognized by the Bar Council of India
- The LL.B. course of study shall be of three years duration viz. LL.B. (Preliminary), LL.B. (Intermediate) and LL.B.(Final) [subject to revision as per the latest directive of the B.C.I.]
- The classes are held in the day time.
- The distribution of papers (C) Compulsory, (0) Optional and (PT) Practical Training
Applications for admission for the LL.B. course are dealt with by the Office of the Principal, University Law College as per public notification. Applications for admission is processed through LL.B. Departmental Advisory Committee and finalized by the Admission Committee under the relevant provisions of regulations, circulars etc. under the G.U. Act. The list of selected candidates is displayed on the University Law College notice board and G.U. website www.gauhati.ac.in
- Candidates securing a minimum of 45% marks in the case of general candidates and a minimum of 40% marks in the case of S.C., S.T, O.B.C., M.O.B.C. candidates in the Three-year Degree course (General/ Major) for First Degree in Professional Course in any Faulty of Gauhati University or any other University recognized by Gauhati University are admitted on the basis of the result of Admission Test cum Interview, taking into account the marks obtained in the Three Year Degree course (General/ Major).
- The date of such Admission Test is notified in the Notice Board of the University Law College and GU website www.gauhati.ac.in
- The reservation policy of the Government and the University shall be followed, but in no case a student securing below 40% marks shall be allowed to take admission.
Dr. Jyoti Prasad Bora
Tel: 2570364(O)/2733857 (R)